Miffa is da # 1

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Rice cookers and Japanese food. An easy way to do difficult things.

May be it's not the nicest one but it rocks!

Let me introduce myself – although I know that my sister Miffa has already told you about me- I’m Miffu Chan.

Like Miffa I was born in Hong Kong, just one year after her birthday, on January 2nd (2006). Miffa’s ancestors are from HK but my parents were from Japan. I am sure that you know that Mr and Mrs Chan are our step fathers. In fact we have a younger sister called Miff, while Miffe is a friend of Miffa who is living with us too.

Ok, introduction is done. Let’s roll!!

Miffa asked my couple of weeks ago to write an article about rice cooking for dummies, but I was attacked by the “white screen syndrome”. He told me that some nice people she met in a party are really big Japanese food culture fans.

Key ingredient in Asian food is rice, and especially in Japanese maki and sushi rice cooking is critical. I am not a skilled asian cooker – Father Bunny does not want me to cook with fire- but I am quite good cooking rice. I must admit that this is because I have mastered the use of one of the best kitchen aids that any Asian food lover can have: The Rice Cooker.

The unit you can see in the picture was bought by Miffa and Mather Bunny in a Shanghai’s suburb during their first visit to China. The price was 5 euros. You can buy the same unit in a store for no more than 20 euro. More sophisticated (but useless to cook just rice) units from Japanese brands are around 100 euros (They’re made in China)

You just add rice and water and then you press “ON” and wait until the “beep”. Then the device will switch to “warn” mode and the rice will take care of your rice for a while.

Sure the texture is not he same but I bet you it’s better than any Japanese rice a beginner or intermediate wan to be Japanease cooker can done.

Labels: , ,

Share |

7 Comments:

  • Hi, Miffu! Nice to meet you :)

    I've always had curiosity for asking this to any understood: As a rice expert, what do you think about a so typically Spanish plate as paella*? (Boiled with water in the classic frying pan or paellera)

    * I mean a good one, ok? Not the ones they do in any tourist place.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2006 01:12:00 pm  

  • De nada, pero recuerda que a mí lo que me gusta son los Vertu. En Barcelona Rabat, en Madrid, Eclat. Fíjate que ahora la web de la marca te ofrece como opciones inglés o ruso (phuck!).

    Por cierto la compañía es de nokia y “los intestinos” son de un modelo bastante antiguo de nokia. Son “made in England” como los Aston Martin. (que a su vez es de Ford).

    Anyways, to the point. If you read the first law, the first one has a real advantage but this advantage can melt like ice on a sunny summer day if you fail. Fifteen years ago advantages last because information technologies were not as available as today, but nowadays all this micro universe is under high pressure.

    Smell is very important in some buying decisions. We cannot remember a specific smell as we do with numbers or music. We associate smells ith experiences… in a way that is much more powerful that many memories (images). About cats and dogs, hmm I thought the same about Olaf.

    Who would say that an octopus could be such a nice gentleman, and he really doesn’t not stink except when he eats hearings). Cops and thieves???

    By Blogger Miffa, at 12/13/2006 01:41:00 pm  

  • Hi Miss Katanga,

    "Asian rice bolier expert"

    My sister Miffa told me that you use dead rabbits inside this evil dish. !!!!

    And that a guy who she met in an Abuse Magazine party eats rabbits (abuelo).

    I would like to kick his ass!!!

    By Blogger Miffu Chan, at 12/13/2006 01:49:00 pm  

  • Oh, just asian rice boiler. Ok, I see.

    About rabbits inside pans... eeerrrrr... hhhmmmm... I'd better say nothing, jiji.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2006 04:51:00 pm  

  • Ouch! You must be the aggressive one of the family. Ok. Better to know it.

    They're similar, I've heard.

    Hhhhmmmmm, certainly I wouldn't like that, but I am not going to turn into vegetarian for not being in it, sorry :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2006 07:31:00 pm  

  • Miffu is, hmm, let’s say… hmmm…
    He hates Vertus, expensive cars, any kind of wealth exhibition, posh people. How do you call that?

    May be , leftist ?

    She actually thinks I am a posh girl who has been trapped by consume’s claw
    (Una niña pija que ha sido atrapada por las garras del consumismo)

    When people ask her about our dad’s job she always lies. She says that Father Bunny works in an iron cast and when I invite some friends to have tea she pays Olaf to appear suddenly in the party in order to spoil it.

    Anyways I think is Dad’s favourite

    By Blogger Miffu Chan, at 12/14/2006 10:13:00 am  

  • May be. Or perhaps she is simply rebellious, realist, critic with this consumer society... Too young to be classified yet. Hopeful thoughts, anyway :)

    P.D.: Creo q alguien se está haciendo daño con los nicks :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2006 11:09:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home